Monday, August 17, 2009

Ballet Philippines' Masterworks



So after an artsy fartsy afternoon at the National Art Gallery, SKP and I headed to Silahis Art Gallery in Intramuros (I did tell you he is obsessed) to check out more artworks. We then went home for a quick dinner and change outfit for are you ready for this... Ballet Philippines' gala performance of Masterworks at the Cultural Center of the Philippines hahaha. Grabe, I think I had a cultural overdose if there's such a thing :p

I was really excited because it was my first time to watch and Masterworks is where they perform their best of the best. This kick started their 40th season. I guess this was an important milestone for the company because gracing the gala was Ballet Philippines' founder Alice Reyes who flew in from the US. Manila Symphony Orchestra, UP Concert Chorus and Pianist Greg Zuniega provided music for Bach Concerto, Romeo and Juliet and Te Deum.

(SKP's thespian friend, NR, is a member of the UP Concert Chorus. She was kind enough to give us free Orchestra tickets. Thanks NR!)

SKP's favorite was the Igorot. I guess he likes indigenous stuff. It was okay but I liked Ensalada and Evacuation better. Ensalada because of the soundtrack (?), Ryan Cayabyab's Limang Dipang Tao. SKP told me the voices are all Mr C's. Wow! Evacuation on the other hand was rich in stunts or I don't know what the ballet equivalent is. This performance to me was a celebration of the flexibility of the human form. I wanted to give a standing ovation to the two performers but I got shy so clap na lang. Out of all the numbers, I bet everyone loved Swimming the Ilog Pasig especially the costume, hehe loko lang.

What I like about Ballet Philippines is their commitment to preserving the Pinoy culture and heritage through their dances. Sana, they would also do Singkil or a Maguindanaoan dance soon if they have not done so already :) and oh yes, their Artistic Director, Paul Morales is...cute! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment